Low Fat Spinach and Cottage Cheese – Palak Paneer
Palak Paneer or Spinach cooked with Indian cottage cheese is usually found in the menu of most Indian restaurants. My version of the dish is lower on fat and I’ve modified it to make it quick to prepare. It is a simple, nutritious meal, ideal to make when you’re pressed for time. Not only is it really creamy and delicious, the combination of super-food Spinach and the Cottage cheese together make a nutritious meal, high on Calcium, Protien & Fiber, when eaten with Chappati’s or Whole wheat bread.
Serves 2 people.
You will need:
- 1 bag of baby spinach; finely chop the spinach, julienned
- 1 packet of unfried cubed paneer (or Indian cottage cheese)
- 1 small or ¼ size finely chopped red onion
- 2 finely chopped small roma tomatoes
- ½ tbsp of tomato paste
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- ¼ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp of chilli powder
- ½ tsp of coriander powder
- ¼ tsp of amchur powder (or dry mango powder)
- ½ tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- In a medium size cooking pot add canola oil to heat. When its warm add the chopped red onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and cook for a minute until the ginger gets incorporated with the onion.
- To this mix add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook this mixture until the oil separates.
- Then add all the dry spices. Mix well.
- Now add the chopped spinach and cook until the leaves wilt and get semi-cooked
- Then add the cubed Paneer and add the vegetable broth. Reduce heat and let the mixture cook through until it begins to simmer and the oil has surfaced to the top.
- Finally add the lemon juice, salt to taste and fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rotis or naan!