Skip to content

Fried Green Tomatoes

June 4, 2011

When I was pregnant with my son, I craved all the foods I controlled myself from eating before. The ordinary and mundane that I would be more than happy to fill my stomach with, just didn’t cut it for me. Tangy, spicy, sweet… anything that was an exciting flavor not only satisfied my cravings, but the little one seemed to enjoy it much more than me ๐Ÿ˜‰

One day I was so pumped up on hunger during the pregnancy, I made my husband take me to the MN State Fair just so I could taste the tangy yumminess that is Fried Green Tomatoes. Not only did the vendor confirm me as his best customer ever (owing to the copious amounts I ate) but it inspired me to make my own version of Fried Green Tomatoes at home.

Today, I did just that. I’ve made mine spicier and crispier than the traditional recipe. I’ve added 3 different types of spices to add just the type of spice that goes with the tanginess of the tomatoes, and I also used panko breadcrumbs for extra crunch. I suggest you use heirloom green tomatoes if you can find them, as they are larger and have more flavor (I bought mine from the Minneapolis Farmer’s market). I serve the crunchy tomatoes with seasoned sour cream and mango habanero sauce, but you could use any dip or condiment you like.

Here’s my recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes:

You will need:

• 4 large green heirloom tomatoes or any large green tomatoes
  • About a cup of all purpose flour
  • About a cup of panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 large eggs
  • A splash of milk
  • Canola or any vegetable oil for shallow frying
  • Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili flakes

Method:

• Slice the tomatoes in 1/2 inch discs and spread them out flat on a large plate. Season with a little salt and pepper on both sides. Leave aside for about 10-15 minutes

• In the mean time, put out 3 medium size bowls. Fill one with flour and season it with salt, pepper, a dash of chili flakes, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
  • Beat the eggs lightly with a splash of milk in a second bowl. In a third bowl, place the panko bread crumbs
  • Once some of the juices have come out of the tomatoes, start with preparing them for frying. Dip in the egg wash, then the flour, and then the bread crumbs. Place flat on a plate in one layer and allow the slices to refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.

• Heat about 1/2 inch depth of oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the tomatoes until they are a light brown
  • Allow to drain on paper towels. Serve with seasoned sour cream (salt, pepper, lemon juice) or my favorite – mango habanero sauce.
Advertisements
13 Comments leave one →
  1. June 5, 2011 11:01 am

Wow. Never had this before but I certainly know I would love it.

• June 6, 2011 12:09 pm

Yup, surely give it a try if you can get green tomatoes. Look for hard tomatoes that will stand the seasoning and frying process.

2. June 5, 2011 12:43 pm

yum if you don’t grow tomatoes in your garden where would you find green tomatoes?

• June 6, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog, Patty! You should find green tomatoes at any specialty grocery store. However, they are not at all expensive. Your local farmers market should also have them. Look for hard tomatoes that tend to have lesser water in them.

3. June 6, 2011 1:43 am

Had veg sliders with these fried green and red tomato patties in it. Loved the idea!
    They were not as spicy but I am sure these will be with cayenne and black pepper. Loving it ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 6, 2011 12:12 pm

That sounds delcious Prerna! Yup these are spicy and tangy. Really yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

4. June 6, 2011 9:47 am

I haven’t heard of this before. Would love to try it if I can lay my hands on some Green tomatoes..first.

• June 6, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Anita! Yes, fried green tomatoes are a common appetizer here in the US and are a southern specialty. The southerners actually soak the tomatoes in buttermilk instead of doing an egg wash. Also, they use cornmeal for crunch, instead of bread crumbs. Look for hard tomatoes that are not soft and watery when sliced. They should work if you cannot find the real green tomatoes.

5. June 7, 2011 4:54 pm

Love fried green tomatoes.I like to eat them with tomatillo salsa- double fun ๐Ÿ™‚ Look yummy!

• June 8, 2011 3:52 pm

Tomatillo salsa sounds delish! Must try it too ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Shubhangi permalink
    July 7, 2011 9:44 am

I tried this … It turned out amazing. Thanks for blogging ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 9, 2011 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for trying my sister’s recipe, Shubhangi ๐Ÿ™‚ So glad you liked it!

7. July 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Had veg sliders with these fried green and red tomato patties in it. Liked the concept! They weren’t as spicy but I’m absolutely sure these will be with cayenne and black pepper. Loving it.