Ridiculously easy Vegetable Coconut curry
Last weekend I did something quite ridiculous. (I’m really loving the word ‘ridiculous’, aren’t I) Can you guess? Give up?
I WENT SKY-DIVING! It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now, but couldn’t quite muster up the courage to do it. With all the ridiculously (there it is again) amazing things that have been happening in my life this year, I said to myself – “Why not jump out of a perfectly good plane, 10k feet above the ground?”And so I did. What followed was the time of my life, scared sh****ss, screaming like there’s no tomorrow, insane experience of my life that I will be definitely repeating a few times again. Yeah :)
So, when I got back home from the ‘event’ and it was time for dinner, I needed something light, comforting, and easy to put together to counter the adrenalin rush from the morning. With a few simple ingredients and a bowlful of assorted veggies, this curry is easy, healthy, low-fat, and very delicious. This is what I did:
Cube up some assorted veggies you can find in your fridge. I had some zucchini and yellow squash in mine. If I had some, I’d also include carrots, broccoli, and sugar-snap peas. Then, finely chop up some onion, sautee on medium heat with some olive oil until translucent, add in a dollop of tomato paste, mix, spice, mix, add the veggies, stir, add a can of coconut milk, simmer for a bit, and… DONE! I garnished the curry with some chopped cilantro but you could add parsley or chopped thai basil too.I also cooked up some quinoa in the rice cooker to go with it, but basmati or jasmine rice would go beautifully too.
Here’s the whole recipe:
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini (or other assorted veggies in the fridge)
- 1/4 large onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin-Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or less, per taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Chopped cilantro, parsley or thai basil for garnishing
- Optional – lemon juice to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Sautee the minced onion until it is translucent and beginning to brown. Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Add all the powdered spices, mix, and then add all the cubed veggies. Allow the veggies to simmer for 30 second or so before you add the salt
- Add the coconut milk, mix well, and let the curry simmer for about a minute.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and lemon juice, and serve immediately over a bed of freshly steamed rice or quinoa